Sunday, February 19, 2012

Egg baskets

The first basket I made was an egg basket.  It continues to be one of my favorite baskets to make.  Like many baskets, an egg basket's form is dictated by function.  The two hump shapes rest easily on a person's hip as they use the basket to hold fresh eggs as they are gathered.  The two sides of the basket keep the eggs from moving about and breaking. The size of the basket determines the number of eggs it can carry.


Not many people use an egg basket to gather eggs anymore, but the design is still an appealing shape. I like to experiment with  various color combinations as I weave.  The 14 inch diameter egg basket above uses a range of purple,blue and teal tones . 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful basket and I love the colors. I had no idea that "egg basket" referred to the history of using it to collect eggs. I always thought it was because the shape sort of looks like an egg.

    ReplyDelete