Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Basket Shopping Cart







The Central Pennsylvania Basket Weavers Guild February workshop featured a Basket Shopping Cart.  Guild member Becci Melcher lead the session.  We worked from the Basket Buggy Shopping Caddy pattern by Pam Feix (www.feixbaskets-crafts.com )












Step 1 - attach the frame to base
Using a Knalla Shopping Cart on Wheels sold by IKEA
 we first attached a slotted wooden base to the frame. 





Step 2 - Insert spokes


 Forty-two spokes were evenly spaced and inserted around the base.  After the spokes were glued in place some members followed the pattern as written.  Other members used reed, colors and patterns of their own choosing while following the basic form of the pattern.

 
 
 
 
I was not pleased with my weaving or color selection so I went home early with the project unfinished.  This was a first for me.  After stewing over the basket for a while, I decided to take it apart and start again.   Have you ever done this?  Sometimes it is the best solution to get the results you want. 

I am much happier with my second attempt.  I changed the color scheme and included bands of burlap and navy ribbon for accents.

Finished dimensions: 16"L x 10"D x 20" High





No comments:

Post a Comment