Monday, September 18, 2017

Weaving Friendships 2017


I spent one of my favorite weekends of the year at the 2017 Weaving Odyssey in Gettysburg PA hosted by the Central Pennsylvania Basket Weavers Guild.

Thursday evening I made an assortment of embellishments suitable for baskets or wreaths.  Gina Kieft (gina@ginasbaskets.com) lead the workshop.  She had endless supplies of nuts, seeds, pods and grasses that she harvested from the fields and roadsides of Michigan. It was a fun class and a great way to start the weekend.
 
I spent Friday weaving with Pati English (BasketsMySpeciality@yahoo.com) an award winning weaver and author of a basket designs book from South Carolina.   I wove a traditional cathead basket. A triple decorative ban was added using two double  Three-Rod Arrow with a Reverse Three-Rod Arrow in the middle of the band.  It was finished with an ash hand grip handle.
 

 
Char Ciammaichella (charweave@gmail.com) from Ohio led my Saturday class.  I have been trying to refine my round reed skills so her zig zag design using 3 rod twining and reverse 3 rod twining gave me a lot of practice.  I am very happy with my design and color choice.
 
 
I finished up my weekend Sunday with another class by Gina Kief.  She taught a small round reed base bowl.  More practice with round reed!  The cream and purple container was finished with a three rod arrow design and a braided border rim.
 
 

Mark your calendars now for next years Odyssey Event

September 13 - 16, 2018

Check out CPWG website to learn more





No comments:

Post a Comment