Sunday, April 8, 2012

Cat's Head Basket


Spring time is in the air and it is the perfect time to weave an “Easter Basket”.  I chose a traditional style Shaker cat’s head basket to be my starting point.  While this basket is typically made on mold and in natural color only, I shaped the basket freehand and used 6 different colors to form the square base of the basket and spokes.   I wove a cream reed in a twill pattern around the sides forming a circular shape while pushing up the bottom and pulling down the corners to points.   Once the basket was the height and circumference I desired, I added a handle and rim to finish the basket.


The cream and multicolored basket looks light, airy and the perfect shape to fill with Easter goodies. 

Why is this basket called a cat’s head basket?     Hint…….If you turn the basket upside down you can see the pointy corners look like ears on a cat’s head.








No comments:

Post a Comment